Common people mostly have fickle minds; they are always guided by what they want to believe, often to their advantage. When they are worried, frightened and clueless about the future they are most susceptible to doubt and conspiracy theories. For the last 6 months people all around the globe are extremely disturbed by the COVID 19 pandemic, less because of the deadly effects of the virus compared to the restrictions and lock-downs derailing normal life it’s earned its wake. They desperately need certainly to return to the sweet normal times and live happily ever after, and therefore they jump to simply accept and believe fully when some motivated souls offer that’COVID 19 is a joke, it’s simply a’annual influenza ‘. Thus the’doubt virus’is done and the social networking as always helps it spread-at times even faster compared to the killer virus. Probably the basic impulses for skepticism stem from the facts that over 808 of Coronavirus positive cases are mild in nature and recover easily, only seniors with co-morbidity are most vulnerable and that on average the death rate is low at 1 to 4% except for a few countries. However, facts also reveal that the dead includes young adults too and anyone can be infected using this most contagious virus.
The conspiracy theories originated in the United States, as always, where extraordinarily’democratic’sections of the citizens opposed the lockdown and restrictions from the beginning symbolizing these with the’agenda’of President Trump. Several conspiracy theories linking even the tragic murder of George Floyd started doing the rounds in the US of which we won’t make an outline here just to avoid vulnerable minds go through and inculcate doubts. We’d only like to say here that writer got a cultural media forward giving an url to a write-up by some’enlightened soul’who took pains of great arguments to’prove’that the pandemic is a’political hoax ‘. Once we mentioned earlier a lot of vulnerable people got influenced by this, and none other than a medical surgeon of the Indian state of Assam who even lodged a FIR alleging that only a’annual influenza’has been defined as a pandemic and he wanted action contrary to the concerned governments. This, naturally, created a sequence of reactions in their state driving news channels asking the hapless common people about their’doubts’on the COVID 19 infections rather than destroying the dilemma.
Now, this’annual influenza’theory breaks down at the fundamental premise itself: if that’s so then this phenomenon must be occurring each year, and why then this year must be so different! Governments do not need to have gone on an emergency drive to generate more and more healthcare facilities including ICU beds merely to tackle an annual event of flu. Then come the experiences of various affected countries and governments tackling this’annual influenza’some of which we narrate below as arguments to break such types of fake and motivated views:
1. Let’s take the exemplory case of the Chinese experiment. Ignoring a lot of conspiracy theories about China itself we only ask here why would China need absolute authoritarian measures to tackle the virus (well, even annual influenza is the effect of a virus) in terms of continuous lockdown and rigorous enforcement โควิด 19. After being successful keeping in mind the infected numbers below 100,000 the country continues to be fearing an additional outbreak, and risking its economic downswing again to avoid its spread. Its aggression against India can be explained as an integral part of its apparent desperation. An annual flu cannot explain these.
2. Why would countries like UK, Italy, Spain, France, USA and Brazil suffer so much from an annual influenza that killed more than half a million to date and continues to be on its deadly prowls? Why would Italy reduce itself to a state of helplessness with dead bodies of Corona patients littered everywhere or why would a German finance minister commit suicide over Corona worries? How one would be to take into account a death rate of over 14% (seen in a couple of countries) for an annual influenza virus?
3. Why would the doctors and experts of the World Health Organization carry on telling’lies’that the new Coronavirus is very dangerous that will probably stay for significantly more than two years and the worst is yet in the future despite whatever campaigns or actions going on or taken against it? We seemed to possess accepted at first that pandemic is the greatest crisis ever faced by humankind. Now, why have second thoughts and doubts?
4. Why would countries across the planet carry on taking huge risks for an economic crash with unprecedented unemployment and pave the way for a recession possibly even worse compared to the Great Depression? In particular, why a developing country and a most promising upcoming world power like India should risk whatever it’s achieved in development so far.
5. How come this kind of mad rush all around the globe to fast-track production of a vaccine against only an annual flu? At least this kind of intensive medical research cannot mask a hidden agenda whatever that’ll be.
Within the last few couple of days new cases in India have now been rising at nearly 25000 daily with the sole solace that daily recoveries increasing steadily and the death rate is fortunately still low; the concern being a rising positivity rate indicating community transmission. Only at that crucial juncture we must not pay heed to conspiracy theories and fake news. Such theories have obvious goals: to generate publicity for unknown persons or groups or to create a kill in terms of profit. As an example, if your link for a write-up with sensational and terrifying headlines gets circulated across social networking and motivated media outlets think of the sort of clicks being generated which directly translate into money.