It you are keen to generate your own Solar Energy House you might well have considered DIY solar panels. Well, while I applaud your desire to truly have a solar energy house, i’d like to warn you that you will not conserve money by making your own solar panels. Lets look at why.
Cost of a DIY Solar Panel
Lets ignore the expense of your time. This is a set of the materials required:
– Clear plexiglass or low iron solar glass 2ft x 4ft x 1/4in $34 or more
– 3/4in 2ft x 4ft plywood panel $23
– Solar panel kit (eBay) $119, comprising:
– 50 Solar panels each 3in x 6in, 1.75w, pre-tabbed
– 10ft tabbing wire and 10ft bus wire,
– Flux pen and solder
– Peg board 2 panels 2ft x 2ft $5
– Clear silicone caulk/sealant $3
– Junction box $5
– Paint, stainless screws, wood for frame $10
– Diodes $3
Total cost $202. Take off $20 for the 10 extra solar panels that aren’t required, provides a total of $182 for the materials to produce a 60 watt solar panel. This calculates at $3 per watt.
Cost of Factory Made Panels
Should you choose an informal search on the Internet, most solar panels work-out at $5 – $7.50 per watt. But we ferreted around and found a 120watt panel for $358 retail, comparable to $2.98 per watt. Additionally there are several wholesalers willing to offer direct to people, and minimum order quantities is as low as two panels. We found a 225watt solar panel wholesale for $549 (min order 2 panels), comparable to $2.44 per watt.
Warnings & Dangers of DIY Solar Panels
Also, if you are contemplating making your own solar panels to cut the expense of your solar energy house, please be familiar with the following:
– In the US, you will NOT be allowed to get in touch your home made solar panels to the grid. If you prefer your solar energy house to be connected to the grid, you should use solar panels with UL certification. Many countries have similar regulations.
– Commercially manufactured solar panels come with 25 year performance guarantees. DIY solar panels have no guarantees and will likely last just a couple of years at best.
– With any home made solar panel there is a threat of fire from low quality soldering. If your DIY solar panel ignited and resulted in fire damage to your dwelling, Baterias para paneles solares your insurance company might be considered a little reluctant to pay for out for a fire the result of a solar panel that did not have UL certification.
– And the ultimate nail in the coffin of a house made solar energy house: in the US, home made solar panels will NOT qualify for the significant rebates and tax credits that are available.
If you prefer solar panels for your solar energy house and want something that is safe, reliable, qualifies for rebates and will really cut your electricity bills, forget DIY. DIY can be a great introduction to understanding what it means to truly have a solar energy house, but it’s not a viable alternative to factory made solar panels.
Create a Solar Panel as a Science or DIY Project
However, if you want to make your own solar panel as a technology project, this can be fun, satisfying and very rewarding. On completion you will also have a solar panel you are able to show off to friends and family and something you can use to supply light for a lawn, shed or outbuilding.
If you want to create a solar panel as a technology project, consider buying among the “how too make solar panels” guides. Some of these are excellent and do a fantastic job of showing you (they possess some excellent videos) what to do, how to accomplish it and when to do. Yes, a guide will add $40 – $50 to the price, but that might be money perfectly spent, just don’t fall for the marketing hype!
If you will want solar energy home and to cut back your electricity bills, your investment DIY route. But, although you won’t conserve money or reduce your electricity bill, making a solar panel included in a technology project must certanly be very satisfying and educational. If you don’t want to invest the $40 – $50 for among the DIY solar panel guides, there is a lot of information on the Internet. I wish every success along with your Solar Energy House.