As diesel fuel prices keep working higher all fleet companies have to take paths to achieve fuel savings. It appears each year the transportation industry faces new perils during the winter months and this season is not any different. Currently the current weather forecasters are predicting not only among the coldest, but the snowiest in the last five (5) years. One of the challenges above and beyond the current weather, diesel fuel costs are on the rise again and most states and many municipalities have mandated idling restrictions.
Here certainly are a few simple tips to simply help maintain your fleet companies equipment, mobile fueling, lower diesel fuel prices, fuel cards and bring more fuel savings.
1. Please make sure you have adequately treated with diesel fuel additives the bulk fleet fueling tanks for the temperatures you is likely to be dealing with. Think when it comes to where in actuality the coldest point your fleet companies trucks will run to and treat accordingly with a good diesel fuel additives program.
2. Block heaters are not made to warm an engine. They are designed to maintain heat already generated in the engine. Thus it is vital that the truck be plugged in while the engine continues to be warm. If your fleet companies truck keep these things, use them. This may make starting fuel saving by being able to start the truck easier.
3. Remind the drivers to UNPLUG the truck before beginning it. 2 – 3 seconds of the engine running while the block heaters are plugged in will do to burn out the block heaters. This may increase your fleet management cost when they do this and lessen your fuel savings, communicate it clearly.
4. Do not idle the trucks. You will do more to COOL the engine by idling a truck coming off the street vs. shutting it off. (Engine temperature rises approx. 18 degrees when it’s shut-off.) Conversely, good fleet management is starting a cold truck and letting it idle is futile. If you need to’warm’a truck that’s been sitting – be in it and drive it across the yard and’exercise’the truck once it’s reached maximum oil-pressure cheap fuel This may warm the engine, transmission, differential and suspension. And of course prevent running the chance of potential fines for idling for both driver and the organization. Your diesel fuel prices is likely to be lower by running your fleet companies trucks at maximum efficiency also increasing fuel savings. Fleet managers have to talk to drivers about these kinds of fleet management operations.
5. Make sure to drain air-tanks and fuel water separators. Because the ambient air temperatures fall, the ability for water to condense in fleet fueling tanks increases and could be carried to the filter/heater unit. During periods of extreme cold this should be performed on an everyday basis. The fleet fueling filters are the only protection the engine has against possible contaminants from your own fuel companies fuel. A bigger micron fleet fueling filter should not be properly used to increase filter life or increase flow. It could void the warranty and could be damaging to the pump and/or the injectors. What might appear such as for instance a fleet management solution today could cause your fleet companies operation a lot more later. Use properly treated diesel fuel additives and your fuel savings and fleet fueling filters is likely to be fine.
6. Be certain air hoses are’set up’to one another or if equipped to the dummy glad-hands when the apparatus is not in use. This is among the leading causes of brakes freezing up. As fleet managers, as part of your fleet management directives this should take as part of your plan.
7. If moisture is contained in an air-line, use one cap packed with brake line anti-freeze in the EMERGENCY (red) side ONLY. Never use it in the blue side or you may cause the brakes to lock up. Use only company supplied brake line anti-freeze as there are numerous products on the market that may cause damage to the interior brake system.
8. Be certain glad-hands connect’tight ‘. If each goes on’loose’they will come off in a restricted turn and can cause unnecessary cycling of the air compressor. Make sure you have a great and snug fit.
These few tips may make the difference between go or no go situation, making that delivery commitment, or completing a function vs. a breakdown. Breakdowns during inclement weather are incredibly dangerous. There are lots of great techniques for proper fuel management in cold temperatures but best tip is to boost driver awareness and subsequently hold them accountable for action or inaction and hopefully fuel savings or at the least not increased costs on your own diesel fuel prices.
As we all soon get ready for a fresh year, it is time for you to review our fuel management, fleet management, fuel companies and fuel cards. We like to say take stock in your entire program by reviewing your fleet management programs, fleet cards, diesel fuel additives, fuel management systems to make sure these fueling projects continue to be providing you with fuel savings. Each fleet companies operation should take a look at it’s projections on diesel fuel prices now for next years fleet fueling budget and take additional actions on it’s mobile fueling, fuel card, fleet management services to boost fuel savings. It seems like 2011, diesel fuel prices is likely to be going higher so fuel management significantly more than ever is likely to be important. Sokolis Group will be here for you yourself to help decide on your own fuel card, mobile fueling, fleet card and decrease your diesel fuel prices and increase fuel savings in 2011.